Sunday, May 04, 2014

How I became concerned with feminism, sexism, and gender equality.

It was the morning of boxing day, and we were heading home after customarily spending Christmas at our grandparents place. The journey was quiet and steady and in a few minutes, we had gotten to Ejigbo. The road there was ridden with pot-holes so we had to slow down. The reduction in pace allowed me to observe the surroundings more keenly. I noticed there weren't as many people or vehicles on the road as was usual. I was thinking about this when something on my right caught my attention. Two people were fighting; on closer inspection, I saw that it was a guy and a lady. I felt incensed with righteous anger. 'What kind of scoundrel of a man fights with a woman?' I thought.
Before I could go on with my damnation of the guy, the fight was separated by pedestrian spectators. Relieved that the fight was over, and that the savage man was under control, I looked away.
"Lolo, did you see that guy fighting with a girl?" I asked my brother.
"No, I was looking at my phone" he replied.
"The guy did not try ooo, how can he be fighting with a girl?" I continued.
"If not that they separated them, I might have gotten down to go to go and fight the guy"
"Why?!" he questioned looking surprised.
"If he was fighting a guy, would you have gotten down?"
"No, why would I get down?" I reply with my own question.
"Then why should you get down because it's a girl, sebi girls and guys are supposed to be equal"
'Touché' I thought to myself, as I became silent for a  moment. When I did speak, it was in incoherent mutterings explaining how we were equal but different and stuff like that.
He continued in a quasi sage like tirade against absolute gender equality, and abruptly returned to his phone, which seemingly held more fascination for him, than confused, inconsistent ethics.
I, however became absorbed in trying to reconcile political correctness with reality.
A mission I'm still trying to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment